Monday, October 31, 2011

Labs Module 9

Image from Webster University.


This week labs will be devoted to practising and perfecting your APA referencing style. This way you'll be ready not only for our own science assignment...but any other essay or article or poster you create for any of your other courses!

Here is the worksheet that I'd like you to work on during the lab: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1H5Oj4TMvVlv8NjzX9AugNrXh1ifoqmslS1j6UsAQO4k/edit

And, when you've completed the worksheet, try your hand at this quiz! You can work with a partner: http://www.proprofs.com/quiz-school/quizshowall.php?title=apa-citation-practice-quiz

6 comments:

  1. This is a very useful workshop. I used to us MLA format a lot, and today I practice the APA format.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was an extremely helpful lab because I too had only ever used MLA format and so it is nice to have a lesson on APA because I need it for this paper as well as one that I'm writing for another one of my classes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's great to learn how to reference because it is something you will do a lot in your life. However, I have not used the MLA format in a long time! All professors have a referencing style they prefer most. I use the Journal of Animal Science referencing for all my papers and although it follows mostly the same pattern there are still differences. It makes it hard to perfect a style of referencing when you'll be using different ones in all your classes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is great news Chen, Fallon and Laura. I'm glad you found the focus on APA style useful. You're right, many professors have their favourites however, my decision to practise APA with the class is because many many science publishing outlets use APA or similar versions of it. Now you'll all be ready for when you start to publish your papers, posters and even when you cite those CC images on your blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As tedious as this lab seemed going into it, I actually came out a lot more comfortable with referencing. It's always been a questionable topic for me, sort of guess-work and hope that it looks right, but after doing so many database references I think it is stuck in my head for good - I appreciate the workshop!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What's the best website to use for APA referencing and citing if you don't want to use a program like RefWorks?

    ReplyDelete